Monday, March 14, 2011

Let's Play Some Pool!


I am so thrilled with how this cake for my dear friend turned out. This was such a fun cake to make! I had a lot of time to plan for this cake which made it even better. My dilema was trying to decide how to make the cake look like a pool table. I wanted as much of it to be edible as possible.

I went online and found a cute video about how to make mini tables. I can't seem to find the video anymore... hmmm :( It was a super simple video... they had kids making the tables for dolls! So here is the mini table I made:

I moved the legs in towards the center mimic a real pool table. I couldn't believe how easy it was... and it didn't take long at all! Well.. it did have to dry for a day between coats of stain and poly. I made it before I had my blog up or else I would've taken more pictures for you all.

The stand was the simple part. The cake was spice cake (first try at this recipe and it's delicious!!!!) with buttercream frosting. I used green sugar flakes and sparkles to make the felt. The wood panels, bumpers, and the balls are all fondant. And the pool sticks are sucker sticks decorated with fondant to match the table. I realized after the fact that I forgot to put the hole in the side where you get the balls out. Oh well... haha!!

Everyone at the birthday was so pleased with the cake! Especially the birthday boy. :) He even helped me arrange the pool balls according to the billiard rules. I play pool a lot, but didn't know the specifications of racking the balls for pro tournament billiard.


I can't wait to make more cake stands! More cake stands means more cake!!
-- Jana

0 comments:

Post a Comment